July 15-16, 2017 – Yeah….I didn’t sleep.
I woke up around 7AM to have my early coffee and read a book I had for a while now, The Finishers by Ezra Ferraz. It’s a book about Filipino entrepreneurs and founders. After preparing my mind for the day, I went on to my station and continued my work on the game.
I started where I left of the day before, the aiming and shooting system for the weapons (the ballista and the cannon). I spent about 3 or 4 hours improving this system because this will what the player will interact with in most of the gameplay.
I also realized that this is what makes making first-person games difficult – you need to make everything look and feel right, because the character BECOMES the player. If something is off, the whole immersion will be broken.
After that, I went back to Blender and design the units. As mentioned in the previous part of this post-mortem, I was planning on making the graphics like Superhot, and I’m also inspired by Final Fantasy 7’s Fort Condor Mission. With those in mind I designed the units along with the enemies.
After modeling the units and the enemies, I imported them to Unity and started writing the spawning scripts.
I didn’t really have any trouble here, thanks to Unity’s navigation system. I just needed to properly write the behavior of the enemies, make sure that they have the right reactions when needed. As for the player’s units, I just need them to spawn at the right location (where the player clicked), and instantiate with a NavMeshAgent component while properly placing themselves on the NavMesh in the scene. As for the unit’s behavior: when they spawn, they will roam around until they see an enemy in range, if that happens, engage the enemy.
I also didn’t have enough time to animate the units and the enemies, so I settled with make them ‘wiggle’ a little bit when attacking. I also added some particle effects when both the units and the enemies die to simulate blood, and also when the cannon balls hit the ground or a target, to simulate explosion.
For the finishing touches, I added Unity’s water standard asset where the enemies spawn to give the feeling that they are coming from “the void”.
For the tutorial and the quit button, I didn’t have any time to make a main menu to put the tutorial in, so I incorporated them in the game world just like in the Dead Space series.
Then, I worked on the audio. I composed a solemn tune with my guitar for the background music and then I used BFXR (I love this app) for the sound effects.
After that, I added some image (post processing) effects on the camera which yields these results:
I playtested the game a couple of times more then I packed everything up around 11 AM of July 16.
Then I submitted the game around 12 noon.
Which is wrong. My greatest mistake for this jam. I forgot that I started the jam almost around 3PM of July 14; that means, I’ll be hitting my 48-hour mark at 3PM of July 16; which means, I still have about 3 hours more to improve the game when I submitted it. Crap.
Conclusion and realization:
Take note when you start the jam and when you’ll hit your n-hour mark. Plan when you will be sleeping and plan what to eat ahead of time (I thrived on chips, packed rice and beef, and peanuts…lots of peanuts). Like always, the next one will be better.
Thank you for reading, here’s the first part of the post-mortem, and you can check the game out here (click on the image, it will open a new tab):